Shih Tzu is the ideal canine companion dog breeds. Originally this bred for royalty in China, this little guy still considers himself a prince among dogs. A true sweetheart dog, his purpose in life is to love and be loved pet. Playful and mischievous dog, he will steal your shoes. It’s no surprise that Shih Tzu owners have been so delighted with this little “Lion Dog” for a thousand years. These dog have a smooth, effortless stride with good reach and drive.
- Life expectancy: 10 – 18 years
- Origin: China, Tibet
- Temperament: playful, outgoing, confident
- Height: Male: 9–10.5 Inches, Female: 9–10 Inches
- Weight: Male: 9–16 pounds, Female: 9–15 pounds
- Colors: any color permissible
- Group: Toy Group
Also Read : American Staffordshire
|Litter size||average 3 to 4 pups maybe larger|
|Life span||10-18 years|
SHIH TZU DOG
Shih Tzu name means little lion, but there’s nothing fierce about this cute dog breeds. The Shih Tzu pet is a lover, not a hunter. Bred solely to be a companion dog, he is an affectionate, happy, outgoing house dog who loves nothing more than to follow his people from room to room. Being cute is a way of life for this lively charmer dog. He is known to be especially affectionate with children.
As a small pet to spend most of their day inside royal palaces, they make a great pet if you live in an apartment or lack a big backyard. Some dog of this breed live to dig holes and chase cats, but a Shih Tzu’s idea of fun is sitting in your lap acting adorable as you try to watch TV.
SHIH TZU TEMPERAMENT AND APPEARANCE
- Shih tzu pet are renowned for their perky, happy temperaments. These dogdogs are lively and friendly.
- He tend to get along well with people of all ages and with other dogs as well as other pets of different species.
- Rarely you will find a snippy shih tzu, but most are very sweet.
- The spunky but sweet Shih Tzu can be both a gentle lapdog and a vivacious companion.
- Shih Tzu Dog have an upbeat attitude and love to play and romp.
- They are affectionate to their family and often good with children. They can be surprisingly tough and may have a stubborn streak.
- Despite their small size, Shih Tzus need daily exercise and grooming. Because of their small size, they can meet their requirements with vigorous indoor games or with short walks on leash.
- These dogs do not do well in hot humid weather.
- Their luxurious coat needs brushing or combing every other day.
- These dog may need professional log Grooming.
- Friendly toward Strangers.
SHIH TZU HEALTH AND CARE
- Life expectation is 11 to 18 years.
- Major concerns: CHD
- Minor concerns: renal dysplsia, entropion, trichiasis, PRA, KCS, otitis externa, portacaval shunt, inguinal hernia, patellar luxation
- Occasionally seen: cataract, dental problems
- Suggested tests: eye, hip, DNA for renal dysplasia