Rhodesian Ridgeback is a confident dog breeds. Hence, they are also very tolerant. Most importantly they are among intelligent breed of dog therefore pet parents love them. Besides that, they are typically dog sometimes aloof among strangers. Rather this behavior should not be confused as aggression. Because Rhodesian Ridgeback have also an excellent temperament, hence people like them. Therefore these dog are not gonna attack strangers. Most importantly, they don’t attacke without a reason. Because they have some issues. Hence, this dog generally requires good training.
- Life expectancy: 13 years at an average
- Origin: Southern Africa
- Height: Male: 67–74 cm (26–29 inches), Female: 64–69 cm (25–27 inches)
- Weight: Male: 48.5 kg (107 lb), Female: 37 kg (82 lb)
- Colors: Light wheaten to red wheaten
- Coat: Short and dense, sleek and glossy
- Group: Hound Group.
- Other Names: African Lion Dog, African Lion Hound
- Litter Size : average of 8.9 pups per litter
- Group: Hounds, Southern
- Life Span: About 10-13 years because average of 11 years
- Weight: Male: 100-106 pounds maximum , Female: 79-81 pounds
RHODESIAN RIDGEBACKS OVERVIEW
Rhodesian Ridgebacks may not be classified as a good dog breed for non experienced pet parents. Besides that, they are said to be very strong willed and their loyalty is also a big characteristic. Therefore they protect the pet parents, owners and also families. If Rhodesian Ridgebacks are trained well, they can be best guardian dog breeds. Moreover Rhodesian Ridgeback is also known as African Lion Dog or African Lion Hound.
RHODESIAN RIDGEBACK TEMPERAMENT AND APPEARANCE
- Extremely Tolerant therefore also very Confident.
- Moreover the Rhodesian Ridgeback dog breed is an excellent family companion for the pet parents wishing to spend a lot of time among their dog.
- Most importantly, This dog also loves his parents and because of that, attaches to families quickly.
- Because it is also a loyal dog to humans and therefore, are among very intelligent dog breeds.
- Besides that they can also become depressed, consequently even cause harm to themselves by pulling out their own coats and chewing on their skin.
- Hence they do have a sensitive side as well.
RHODESIAN RIDGEBACK HEALTH AND CARE
- Life expectation is 10 to 13 years. i.e. average lifespan of 11 years.
- Major concerns: none.
- Minor concerns: hip dysplasia. dermoid sinus. hypothyroid.
- Occasionally seen: Gastric dilatation volvulus. Degenerative myelopathy.
- Suggested tests: Degenerative Myelopathy. detection of SOD1A. MH – Malignant Hyperthermia.