Pekingese a cute, compact, stocky toy dog breeds weighing up to 14 pounds. Pekingese is a compact dog with a pear-shaped body, heavy forequarters and lighter hindquarters, slightly longer than tall. The dog’s image is lion-like and implies courage, boldness, and self-esteem rather than prettiness, daintiness, or delicacy. Pekes pet are charming, confident companions dog who develop a tight bond with their favorite human. Bred to live in palaces, they can be as serenely independent as the emperors who owned them.
- Life expectancy: 13 – 15 years
- Origin: China
- Temperament: Loyal, Affectionate, Regal in Manner
- Height: Male: 6–9 Inches, Female: 6–8 Inches
- Weight: Male: 11–14 pounds, Female: 10–14 pounds
- Colors: almost any
- Group: Toy Group
|Coat:||Thick coat, double coat, straight|
|Litter size||average 3 to 4 pups maybe larger|
|Life span||13-15 years|
The Pekingese dog breeds has an ego that’s bigger than he is, thanks to his heritage as a favored companion dog in the imperial Chinese court. Despite that, he’s generally affectionate and affable. The Peke prefers adult company, although he will tolerate older children who respect his dignity.
His coat is longest at the neck and shoulders, giving Pekes dog their famous “lion’s mane.” Coats come in various reds, from a golden-red to darker shades. The large, short-muzzled head is a wider-than-long “envelope shaped” rectangle, and the eyes are large, dark, and sparkly. His unique feature of Pekes is their effortless “rolling” gait.
TEMPERAMENT AND APPEARANCE
- Pekingese pet is decidedly not a timid lapdog.
- This dog has a courageous character that will not start a fight but will not back down from one.
- He tends to be aloof around strangers but this is not a breed-wide trait.
- Many are outgoing and loving, but are independent and not overly demonstrative.
- This dog breed’s stubbornness is legendary.
- They although playful around family members, the dog may not be athletic or playful enough to satisfy many children.
- This dog breed will not tolerate rough handling by children, and can be injured by careless hard play.
- He enjoys a leisurely walk outdoors, but is equally happy to romp inside.
- The dog is susceptible to heat prostration and must be kept in air conditioning in warm weather.
- Friendly toward Strangers.
HEALTH AND CARE
- Life expectation is 13 to 15 years.
- Major concerns: none
- Minor concerns: elongated soft palate, stenotic nares, KCS, patellar luxation, disticiasis, trichiasis, skin fold dermatitis
- Occasionally seen: urolithiasis
- Suggested tests: knee, (eye)
- Life span: 13–15 years
- The breed is sensitive to anesthesia and does not tolerate heat well. It is also prone to corneal abrasions. Puppies must often be delivered by caesarean.