Mastiff is extremely large & most ancient types of dog breeds. His ancestor, the molossus, was known 5,000 years ago. Then, the dog was a ferocious war dog breeds, very different from the benevolent behemoth that he is today. This dog make a fine companion for anyone who can accommodate his great size and doesn’t mind a little drool slung here and there.
Read about more popular dog breeds like Australian Shepherd.
- Life expectancy: 6 – 10 years
- Origin: England
- Temperament: brave, loyal
- Height: Male: 29–35 Inches, Female: 25–30 Inches
- Weight: Male: 160–250 pounds, Female: 120–200 pounds
- Colors: apricot-fawn, silver-fawn, fawn, or dark fawn-brindle
- Group: working Group
|Litter size||average 3 to 4 pups maybe larger|
|Life span||6-10 years|
Mastiffs Dog are known as “gentle giants,” big dogs whose main weapons are their size, reputation, and instinctive understanding of what is and isn’t a threat. A well-bred, well-socialized well trained, he will protect his human family as part of his nature, without any special training beyond simply making him a well-behaved member of the family.
Mastiffs are patient, lovable companions and guardians dog who take best to gentle training. Eternally loyal Mastiffs are also protective of family, and a natural wariness of strangers makes early training and socialization essential. These dog are also magnificent pets, but acquiring a powerful giant-breed dog is commitment not to be taken lightly.
MASTIFF TEMPERAMENT AND APPEARANCE
- Mastiff Dog is innately good natured, calm, easygoing, and surprisingly gentle.
- He is a well-mannered house pet but needs sufficient room to stretch out.
- This is an extremely loyal breed, and though not excessively demonstrative, the Mastiff is devoted to his or her family and is good with children.
- The adult Dog needs daily moderate exercise, grooming, walk, consisting of either a good walk or an enjoyable game.
- It is a prone to drooling. Coat care is minimal.
- This dog breeds does not enjoy hot weather,its enjoy cold weather.
- Fine-boned, elegant, easy to carry, doesn’t take up much space.
MASTIFF HEALTH AND CARE
- Life expectation is 9 to 11 years.
- Major concerns: CHD, gastric torsion
- Minor concerns: elbow dysplasia, osteosarcoma, cystinuria
- Occasionally seen: cardiomyopathy, allergies, vaginal hyperplasia, cruciate ligament rupture, hypothyroidism, OCD, entropion, PRA, PPM
- Suggested tests: hip, elbow, eye, cardiac, (cystinuria), thyroid, DNA for PRA
- Note: obesity can be a problem