Leonberger is a large, powerful, muscular working dog, well suited for the original purpose of family dog, farm dog, and draft dog. He is a huge and powerful dog, yes, but the Leonberger is also known for his aristocratic grace and elegance.
A well-built dog breeds Leo moves with an easy, elastic gait. A Leonberger is friendly but nobody’s fool. As watchdogs and all-around workers, Leo exhibit intelligence and sound judgment.
- Life expectancy: 8 – 9 years
- Origin: Germany
- Temperament: Gentle, friendly, playful
- Height: Male: 28–31 Inches, Female: 25.5–29.5 Inches
- Weight: Male: 110–170 pounds, Female: 90–140 pounds
- Colors: yellow, red, mahogany, sandy
- Group: working Group
|Litter size||Average 3 to 4 pups maybe larger|
|Life span||8-11 years|
Leonberger is a jumbo-sized dog breed is a mix of Newfie, long haired Saint Bernard, and Great Pyrenees. Originally from Germany, where he was created through crosses between Newfoundlands, longhaired Saint Bernards, plus some Great Pyrenees, this giant breed requires a commitment to training and a high tolerance for mischief and mess.Moreover they are good watchdogs. Leo is generally good with other pets and dogs, although some can be domineering toward other dogs.
LEONBERGER TEMPERAMENT AND APPEARANCE
- The Leo is a devoted and trustworthy companion, even-tempered, and very affectionate.
- Leonberger is eager to please and fairly easy to train.
- These dog are friendly to strangers but also protective of their owners.
- Leo dog is generally good with other pets and dogs, although some can be domineering toward other dogs.
- Quiet and calm indoors, they are nonetheless good watchdogs.
- Leo require lots of brushing, ample room for romping, and unlimited love.
LEONBERGER HEALTH AND CARE
- Life expectation is 8 to 11 years.
- Major concerns: CHD
- Minor concerns: elbow dysplasia, gastric torsion, osteosarcoma
- Occasionally seen: entropion, ectropion, polyneuropathy
- Suggested tests: hip, eye, DNA for polyneuropathy
Also Read : TOY POODLE ! THE CUTE FAMILY PET